- 3 tablespoons oil or melted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- Chopped stems from chard leaves (below)
- 1 medium cauliflower (3-4 cups, chopped)
- 2 cups lightly packed, coarsely chopped Swiss chard leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh marjoram (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup light cream
- Salt to taste
- Swiss chard, shredded, for garnish
In a large saucepan, cook onion, celery, carrot and chard stems in oil or melted butter, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned.
Stir in cauliflower, chard leaves, marjoram and cayenne; add broth.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until cauliflower is very tender (about 10 minutes).
Process mixture in blender or food processor until smooth.
Return to saucepan, add cream and reheat to serving temperature. Do not boil.
Season to taste. Serve hot, garnished with shredded chard if desired.
-- Rhona McAdam